Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Out with the Old, In with the New.

Today's DruidCraft Daily card is the 5 of Pentacles. This card shows a woman leaning against a tree, covering her eyes with her forearm. She is in despair, crying, shielding her eyes from seeing any more of what has so upset her.

Meanwhile in the background the greyhound is chasing and closing in on the hare. This scene is part of the story of Ceridwen and Taliesin. As she pursues him to regain the first three (magical)drops of the elixer she was creating for her son, Taliesin transforms/changes in order to elude her.

And so goes life. When things reach a certain point, in order to avoid destruction, change/transformation must occur. With that transformation, the old must die/cease to exist in order for the new to grow and thrive.

I think the book explains it better. "The process of breaking down, or loss, is as necessary as the process of building up, or gain, and this idea is conveyed in alchemy in the process of solve et coagula -dissolution and coagulation."

The fives represent change, suffering and loss(a necessary part of the process) must occur, and Pentacles signify the material world. For me, it translates into letting go of old habits, unneeded possessions that clutter forward movement, in order for the process to continue. While for some, this is a matter of loading things into a box/trash bag and heading for the proper recepticle, Viola, you're done.

I, on the other hand, have attached personal meaning/memory/fear of lack(for want of a better term) to many items that are indeed unnecessary to my life now. It becomes a two-part process for me-coming to the realization that it is time to cut the ties to these objects as well as hauling them out. My desire to achieve simplicity in my life requires this process, big time.

Again, this deck and its messages hold such relevancy in my life!

~Blue~

1 comment:

Enelinwen said...

This is a very timely post as I read it. I was just looking at how to give myself more time, and that means, letting go of some of the unnecessary things I do... and the material hoarder that I've become is a whole other level of what you are speaking. But, seeing this reminder brings me back down to earth.

May the Light always shine bright upon your hearth. :)

Post a Comment